January was a doozy of a month. It went by so fast, and I’m not going to lie, with school and everything else going on I do feel a bit burned out. February is going to a super busy month for me, and I’m not sure if I want it to go by as fast as January did. Though I have a strong feeling that it will. Reading wise, January was a really good month for me. I’m already 10% through with my Goodreads goal, so yay for small accomplishments. I’d love to hear what you all read this month, so definitely let me know in the comments.
Books I read this month
- Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLeamore
- I won’t be putting up a review of this book on the blog, but it was such a great reading start to my year. I’m so glad that I finally read it, especially since it’s so beloved in the YA Twitter community and I’ve been wanting to read it for so long.
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
- I’m still shook, and that’s all I’m going to say.
- Freshmen by Tom Ellen
- I took a chance on this book and got an arc via NetGalley. The writing style wasn’t really for me, and I got 30% through the book before I DNFd it.
- Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet (Anthology)
- I’m planning on doing a review of this anthology for the blog. Some stories I adored, some not so much, but I sort of expected that.
- The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spalding
- I was able to get an arc for this book from Edelweiss+. It was a super cute read, and I’ll most likely put a review up on the blog closer to the publication date. But in the meantime, you can check out my brief review over on Goodreads if you’re interested.
- Love, Life, and the List by Katie West
- I’m convinced that none of Katie West’s other books will ever be as good as P.S. I Like You. However, reading this book was a nice escape from school and stress for a few hours, and it really made me wish it was summer break.
Books I plan to read next month
- Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett
- I’M SO EXCITEDDDDD. I got approved for to read an arc via NetGalley, and I’m hoping to dive in really soon. I loved Alex, Approximately, and I have super high hopes for Starry Eyes.
- Let’s Talk About Love by Clare Khan
- Please please please let my library keep holding it until Saturday because I really want to read this book, and I’m really pumped for it.
- Love, Hate, & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed
- Yes, yes I’m rereading it
January was a solid month for writing as well. I wrote a total of about 15K words this month, and I’m over halfway done with my minimal first draft wordcount goal of 55K. To be honest, I haven’t written for the past few days, and probably won’t write that much, if at all, with the way my schedule looks this week. I’m debating changing my goal to finish the first draft by the end of the school year, but we’ll see. The current draft is just shy of 30K, and I’m proud of that. If any of you all are working on WIPs, I’d love to hear about your progress.
Life wise, school has been a lot. I had my first meeting with my college counselor this week which is wild, and everything that I’ve heard about being second-semester junior year has definitely kicked in. My weekends are now booked with SAT prep, which is a privilege but also means five days spent at school is now six or seven. I’ll also be doing a ton of traveling this month, which I’m excited for but it complicates school and other stuff which is a tad bit stressful. Overall, I feel like once February is over I’m going to be able to exhale a bit, especially since spring break will sort of be around the corner.
I’d love to hear how January went for everyone, and what everyone’s looking forward to for next month. I hope January was a fantastic start of 2018 for everyone, and that February is just as great, if not better.